Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cherry and coconut loaf cake

Coconut and Cherry Cake


This cake came about from a sleepless night. You know those times when you go to bed so wired and tired and all sorts of random thoughts come to your head. Well I could not get the glace cherries lurking in the back of my fridge out of my mind. Why have I not made cherry and coconut cake yet!?! This used to be a childhood favourite as my dad was quite partial to it. I was close to getting out of bed at 1.30am to make it but thankfully I waited until the morning. Afternoon to be precise. It was out of this world delicious and I had to blog the recipe in case It goes out of my head, until the next sleepless night.




Ingredients:
5oz soft butter
1oz margarine (ran out of soft butter)
6 oz caster sugar
3 med-large eggs whisked with 1 t vanilla extract
2-3 T milk
8oz plain flour
1t baking powder
1/2 t bicarbonate of soda (half)
2-3 drops of almond essence (extract would be nice but horses for courses)
1oz of glace cherries mixed with 2oz of dessicated coconut
( I find the crazy jack organic coconut variety to be the tastiest and closest to freshly grated.)

  • cream together fats and sugar
  • add everything else and mix( Although I did add the cherries and coconut after first combining other ingredients.)
  • Place in two 1 lb loaf tins lined with greaseproof paper and bake in a preheated oven 180 degrees C for 40-45 minutes.
  • Cool and eat after 4 hours( tastes even better I found)

Very more-ish and hard to share, but you must!

No comments: