Friday, September 12, 2008

Rasmalai


Simple recipe



MMMMMmmmmm Tastes as good as it looks.
I found this recipe on the www first but something about it was not working for me. I called my aunt for her recipe which I heard also uses ricotta cheese. It sounded the same but I asked her to send me the recipe. One simple stage made all the difference-Mix together by hand! Previously I had unwittingly used a whisk and the results were a close texture rather than a more crumbly open texture achieved by hand mixing. My addition to the recipe is the vanilla flavoured milk syrup and the ground cardamon.

You need:
  • ricotta cheese 2 cartons
  • sugar 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on how sweet toothed you are!
  • ground cardamon 1 t
  • 1 pint whole milk
  • 1/2-1 large can evaporated milk (or use 2 pints of milk instead)
  • vanilla dusting sugar
  • flaked almonds or pistachios and rose petals to decorate
  1. Mix the first 3 ingredients together by hand
  2. Divide the mixture into a lined 12 cup muffin pan
  3. Cook in oven for 40 mins fan oven 160 degrees C (lower if using more sugar)
  4. Reduce the pint of milk to half by bringing to the boil and then simmering on a low heat.
  5. Add the evaporated milk and a good dusting of the vanilla icing sugar(1t)
  6. Place the cooked patties into the prepared milk syrup and chill.
  7. Decorate-especially good with crushed pistachios!

No comments: